Here’s my number, call me maybe?: 5 Chelsea manager candidates

November 21, 2012 in Features, Premier League

Pin It

It is that time of the year again. Chelsea go through a sticky patch and another manager gets given a nice payoff and his P45. I really feel for Roberto Di Matteo, but it always felt like they kept him on as manager because they had no choice; he delivered the one trophy that Roman Abramovich so desperately wanted but it never felt to me that he was the number one choice after the win in Munich. Plus, he was tasked to change the way the team played and to get rid of the old guard, a hugely difficult task that his predecessor Andre Villas-Boas couldn’t do either - I bet the Spurs manager is feeling a bit better about things now. The question that is on everyone’s lips now is what manager will Roman call to step in and take over either temporarily or permanently?

Read the rest of this entry →

Just how good is Marouane Fellaini?

November 15, 2012 in Premier League

Pin It

The focus of my football weekend was firmly on Goodison Park. Not only were Sunderland playing there, but the BBC programme Football Focus was also being broadcast live from the stadium. The main reason for their presence seems to have been the fantastic form of Everton in this early season. Notoriously, over the last few seasons, they have struggled early on in, only to come on very strong over the last half of games. However, they have come out of the blocks on fire this season and are now rightfully holding onto the curtails of Chelsea and the two Manchester teams in the race for the final Champions League place.

Read the rest of this entry →

Premier League Review - A weekend to remember for Manchester United

November 12, 2012 in Premier League

Pin It

Another dramatic week in the Premier League draws to a close and it is certainly one to remember on Remembrance weekend for Manchester United, whose epic comeback, courtesy of super-sub Javier Hernandez, could provide to be vital later on in their quest to claw the Premier League trophy back to Old Trafford.

Read the rest of this entry →

Liverpool need simple approach as Chelsea test awaits

November 10, 2012 in Premier League

Pin It

Liverpool have approached matters both on and off the pitch in a way that contrasts their traditional mantra over the last few years; chopping and changing their manager, coming to terms with two takeovers from across the pond and being thrust into a racism row that set the tone for a raucous year in the Premier League. But as the Reds verge on a visit to the scene of an alleged unpleasant crime, the last thing Brendan Rodgers needs is complications. Chelsea’s accusations of racist and insulting language from referee Mark Clattenburg towards John Obi Mikel is an issue that will run long into the night, but the only thing on Liverpool minds should be three oh-so-valuable points at the Bridge.

Read the rest of this entry →

A Drop of Claret and Blue - QPR vs West Ham preview

October 1, 2012 in Features, Premier League

Pin It

Welcome to A Drop of Claret and Blue, Ballsy Banter’s regular West Ham related feature for the 2012/13 season. It seems like such an age since the last instalment, so let’s quickly cast our minds back to the home fixture against Sunderland nine days ago.

Read the rest of this entry →