Get Adobe Flash player
****
« »
  • 6 things to look out for in the Premier League this weekend

    6 things to look out for in the Premier League this weekend

  • Why the

    Why the "little horse" can win the title this year

  • It's official: David Beckham is taking his talents to South Beach

    It's official: David Beckham is taking his talents to South Beach

  • Everton and the question of fourth place

    Everton and the question of fourth place

Now I didn’t read Philosophy during my three years at university, but had I done so, I think the kind of quotes that Jose Mourinho came out with on Monday would not have bemused me quite as much. Following his Chelsea team’s impressive 1-0 away win over the bookies’ title favourites Manchester City at The Etihad, the Blues boss was on top form in his post-match interview. “A victory is a victory, but a victory against a very good team is better than a victory against an ordinary team. More credit to my players,” he said after Branislav Ivanovic sealed the win with an edge-of-the-box strike.

Credit: Telegraph

Even though José Mourinho was quick to play down suggestions that Chelsea are title contenders, their win at the Etihad proves otherwise. Chelsea combined astute tactics with great individual performances, and took advantage of the shortcomings of their opponent's squad and lack of plan B.

It was a disastrous start: a 4-0 loss to Swansea. Sunderland were bottom: 8 games played, -15 goal difference, 1 point, 6 points from safety, no wins. New manager Gus Poyet had inherited a side who, at best, were bereft of confidence, at worst, simply not good enough for this league; a series of overpaid, gutless drunkards. In his first game, things got even worse; out from the cold came Sunderland fans' enemy number one, Phil Bardsley. After being dropped from the team under Paolo Di Canio, he spent the first game of the season (a defeat to Fulham) laughing at Sunderland on Instagram, but here he was lining up against Swansea.

Before the season started, this question would have been almost unthinkable. Flashback to the end of last season; Everton had just lost their manager of eleven years, David Moyes. Moyes had taken them from a beatable, lower mid-table to relegation team, and made them competitive. He instilled his philosophy of hard work and stubborn resolve. Goodison Park became a ground that teams feared to visit, because even if they didn’t win, Everton rarely lost on their home soil. With a shoestring budget, the squad was enriched. Savvy business like £2.5mil for Mikel Arteta and £1.5mil for Tim Cahill allowed Everton to continually push higher up the table.

Racism, affairs and misconduct; three words which I would use to describe John Terry’s footballing career. Whilst he’s been a solid and loyal servant for Chelsea, only leaving the club once to play at Nottingham Forest on loan, his career hasn’t exactly been as pretty as a Picasso painting. However, last night we witnessed him and fellow Englishman Gary Cahill shut out Manchester City – Europe’s top scoring side – in a 1-0 win for Jose’s Blues at the Etihad. It begs the question, should John Terry be amongst the contenders for England’s World Cup squad despite all the controversy that would undoubtedly surround his return to the England fold?

1. Bleak signs for Newcastle in the North East Derby

It’s not been a great week for Newcastle fans. The inevitable happened on Monday, when they finally sold best player Yohan Cabaye to PSG for £20 million. On Wednesday, they played out a dire 0-0 draw with Norwich, dearly missing Cabaye’s creative input and losing striker Loic Remy to a red card, which has seen him suspended for the derby. Attempts to sign Clement Grenier to replace Cabaye appear to have failed, and with only 12 hours left on the transfer clock as I write this, Mark Noble is being touted as a possibility. Oh dear. It feels like a perfect storm, and a loss to mortal enemies Sunderland for the second time this season looks very much on the cards.

  • Scouting Report: Julian Draxler

    Scouting Report: Julian Draxler

  • Scouting Report: Kevin Volland

    Scouting Report: Kevin Volland

  • Scouting Report: Diego Costa

    Scouting Report: Diego Costa

   Ballsy Banter © 2014. All Rights Reserved.

  Website Designed By Nathan Caselton

Terms Of Use | Comment Policy