Get Adobe Flash player
****
« »
  • Liverpool 5-1 Arsenal: Reds inflict Gunners' woes

    Liverpool 5-1 Arsenal: Reds inflict Gunners' woes

  • 6 things to look out for in the Premier League this weekend

    6 things to look out for in the Premier League this weekend

  • Why the

    Why the "little horse" can win the title this year

  • It's official: David Beckham is taking his talents to South Beach

    It's official: David Beckham is taking his talents to South Beach

Now I didn’t read Philosophy during my three years at university, but had I done so, I think the kind of quotes that Jose Mourinho came out with on Monday would not have bemused me quite as much. Following his Chelsea team’s impressive 1-0 away win over the bookies’ title favourites Manchester City at The Etihad, the Blues boss was on top form in his post-match interview. “A victory is a victory, but a victory against a very good team is better than a victory against an ordinary team. More credit to my players,” he said after Branislav Ivanovic sealed the win with an edge-of-the-box strike.

Before the season started, this question would have been almost unthinkable. Flashback to the end of last season; Everton had just lost their manager of eleven years, David Moyes. Moyes had taken them from a beatable, lower mid-table to relegation team, and made them competitive. He instilled his philosophy of hard work and stubborn resolve. Goodison Park became a ground that teams feared to visit, because even if they didn’t win, Everton rarely lost on their home soil. With a shoestring budget, the squad was enriched. Savvy business like £2.5mil for Mikel Arteta and £1.5mil for Tim Cahill allowed Everton to continually push higher up the table.

For the past six months, David Beckham has been making headlines with the prospect of adding a MLS team in Miami. Yesterday, MLS Commissioner Don Garber made the announcement that Beckham has exercised his expansion option, and it looks like Miami are going to be joining the league within the next couple of seasons. Beckham noted that it is an “exciting time for Miami and for himself personally.” This is the first time that an ex-athlete is joining MLS as a team manager.

1. Crunch time for Arsenal and Liverpool

Knowing their fixtures over the next two months, Arsenal might have wanted something more than a two-point cushion against their title rivals Manchester City and Chelsea, but that’s what they’ve got. And bearing in mind Manchester City’s fixtures over the same period, Arsenal can’t really afford to take nothing from Anfield on Saturday morning; by the same token, any notion of being in the title race would surely dissipate for Liverpool if they lose to Arsenal. They would be 11 points off first place, and Rodgers can be bullish, but if that’s the case, 4th place would be the most they could get out of this season. Big game for both sides and should be great for the neutral.

If Carlsberg did horror movies, they could do worse than take Arsenal's defending in the first 20 minutes at Anfield as a reference. Equally, Liverpool's attacking quality may be worthy of a script of its own, after they demolished the league leaders 5-1 in a mouth-watering top-of-the-table clash on Merseyside. The win sees the Reds pull five points clear of Everton in fourth, and reignite discussions about their potential title chances.

At long last, some variety has hit us in La Liga. Zero points and six goals is all what separates the top three teams in Spanish football's premier division; Atletico Madrid join the usual challengers of Barcelona and Real Madrid as this season's title contenders. Can they last the distance?

  • Scouting Report: Fernando Reges (Porto)

    Scouting Report: Fernando Reges (Porto)

  • Scouting Report: Julian Draxler

    Scouting Report: Julian Draxler

  • Scouting Report: Kevin Volland

    Scouting Report: Kevin Volland

   Ballsy Banter © 2014. All Rights Reserved.

  Website Designed By Nathan Caselton

Terms Of Use | Comment Policy