Raising Our Game: Why Kick It Out are determined to get more women into football.

November 13, 2013 in Women's Football by Emma Lucy Whitney

Pin It

This Monday, I was lucky enough to attend the afternoon session of Kick It Out’s Raise Your Game event at Manchester City’s Etihad stadium. Arriving at City’s ground, I was both excited and nervous, not knowing what to expect, who exactly I’d meet there, and what the event would be like. Well, I needn’t have worried; from meeting fellow attendees who are just as crazy about the beautiful game as I am, to actually getting the chance to talk one-on-one with professional, high-achieving women within the football industry, Raise Your Game was an event that I personally got rather a lot from. Designed by the Kick It Out team to focus on how best to overcome the barriers facing both women already in football, and those looking to work within the industry, Raise Your Game provided the perfect opportunity to take inspiration from those who have already achieved their dreams in football, and left me and all the other attendees with much food for thought.

kick it out raise your game event

Read the rest of this entry →

Safe Hands and Butter-Fingers

October 10, 2013 in Features, International, Premier League, Women's Football by Emma Lucy Whitney

Pin It

A celebration of the players who’ve graced one of football’s most coveted yet eccentric positions – England’s No. 1.

Read the rest of this entry →

Ladies’ Night? More like Ladies’ Week, Month and Year: Why it’s been a great few days for women’s football, and women in football, in England

October 3, 2013 in Women's Football by Emma Lucy Whitney

Pin It

From the epochal shift of a team that isn’t Arsenal winning the highest domestic prize on offer in women’s football in England, to the national side thrashing Belarus and Turkey in their World Cup qualifiers - clocking up an aggregate score of 14-0 from just two games, no less – not to mention Charlotte Green taking on the mantle of reading the classified football results on the Beeb, it’s been quite a week or so for those interested in the beautiful game and the place of women in it. After the disappointments of the summer, with the senior England girls dismally underachieving in Sweden at the Euros preceding the sacking of Hope Powell, some autumnal optimism is just what the doctor ordered. With the newly restructured Women’s Super League to look forward to next year, the Under 17 European Championships taking place over here in November and December, and the Super League Continental Cup clash between newly dethroned Arsenal and soon to be re-branded Lincoln Ladies taking place at Barnet’s Hive this Friday night, there’s plenty more to whet our appetites and get excited about. However, let’s focus for now on the events of the past fortnight, and exactly what is starting to go so right in the English women’s game.women1

Read the rest of this entry →