Five football fixtures to whet the appetite

June 21, 2013 in Football League, League 1, Premier League by Ben Said Scott

So the football league fixtures have been announced for next season, giving us just enough of a glimpse into the future to get our hopes racing and our pulses expectant - or is that the other way round? Who cares, football’s only several months away…

Palace Read the rest of this entry →

Yeovil reach the Championship as Brentford fall short

May 22, 2013 in League 1 by Ben Said Scott

Last week, I wrote an article detailing the similarity between the exciting route to the play-off finals for both Brentford and Watford. Aside from being genuinely great footballing stories, the reason I blogged about them was that I have been fortunate to get tickets to both games as a supporter of Brentford and Watford.

Rosler Read the rest of this entry →

Watford and Brentford: penalties, promotion and play-offs

May 17, 2013 in Championship, League 1 by Ben Said Scott

Kevin Keegan once said: “that if history is going to repeat itself then I think we can expect the same again”. Aptly, I remember this quote from a t-shirt that my Dad used to own. It was bright yellow…

Zola Read the rest of this entry →

How to spend your four-day weekend in the lower leagues

March 28, 2013 in Championship, League 1 by Matt Harrison

The international break is over! And now that Stevan Jovetic has finished proving to everyone why I bought him for £32m on Football Manager, Saturdays once again mean wall-to-wall football, “Unbelievable Jeff”, and Gary Lineker once again letting his twitter followers know that he doesn’t pick the MOTD running order. Feels like ages since we had a regular weekend of football, and combine that with a four-day weekend (sorry if you work bank holidays, I used to have to, I feel your pain), so I thought I’d give you the a non-stop guide to how you could spend your four days off.

Huddersfield Read the rest of this entry →

Coventry’s plight: from Panini stickers to tipping point

March 13, 2013 in League 1 by Ben Said Scott

Growing up, one of the staples of the footballing elite were Coventry City. As a Sunderland fan, I had yet to be indoctrinated against them and Jimmy Hill’s escapades in 1977, and I always thought of them as a decent team.

Guided by Gordon Strachan, they were always a roughly mid-table team with a group of players who you used to know, but only because of your desire to collect them in your Panini footballing sticker album, topped off with some excellent players. I remember watching people like Dion Dublin and Gary McAllister regularly on Match of the Day, presented by Hill’s replacement Des Lynam (before ITV stole him away). My favourite player was Mustapha Hadji, who was signed by Gordon Strachan after his fantastic performances for Morocco in the 1998 World Cup.

How things change. Read the rest of this entry →