The Championship is upside down – The differing fortunes of Bolton and Burnley

September 23, 2013 in Championship

Pin It

On the final day of the 2012/13 season, Bolton sat 6th and looked in prime position to secure the final playoff spot after a remarkable run of form which took them from fourth bottom to the playoffs in three months. Unfortunately, on the final day, they drew at home, and a last minute winner from Leicester allowed them to sneak in instead. However, many plumped for Bolton outside the three relegated Premier League sides as their team to go up this season; most saying they could secure a top two finish based on the quality of player they’d brought in plus the remnants of their Premier League squad.

Soccer - Barclays Premier League - Stoke City v Bolton Wanderers - Britannia Stadium Read the rest of this entry →

Season Preview 2013-14: Crystal Palace

August 13, 2013 in Premier League, Team Previews

Pin It

So for the second year in a row, it happened. For the second year in a row, I have to write about a promoted team for the season previews. I think there is something fishy going on with that draw! However, on the plus side, these articles do kind of write themselves; with the promoted teams, all you wanted to know is whether or not they will stay up. Last year, I predicted Southampton to stay up if Rickie Lambert scored goals - hardly the world’s most daring prediction, but I was right!

Palace Read the rest of this entry →

The Championship Sack Race: 5 managers under pressure already

July 2, 2013 in Championship

Pin It

July the 1st, and new managers everywhere are starting their first day in a new job. They sit in their big comfy chair dreaming of wild success and silky football which have the papers declaring them the new Guardiola. Unfortunately, for most, the dream will turn into a nightmare, and even here on July 2nd, a number of Championship managers sit precariously. They are only a half dozen poor games away from their P45 and they probably know it.

Here are my top five contenders to be shown the door (or just leave) first in the Championship:

Tony Mowbray

TonyMowbray Read the rest of this entry →

Why Pep can’t win at Bayern

June 26, 2013 in Uncategorized

Pin It

Some people probably, deep down, don’t give a shit what you think about them because they are just so goddamn handsome. Pep Guardiola is probably one of these people. His unveiling today as Bayern Munich’s manager caused a breakdown of civilisation amongst German women as their ovaries simultaneously exploded. However, his arrival in Munich brings with it an air of smugness amongst the rest of European football as Bayern are already top of the tree in Europe and by a long way; for Pep, the only way is down.

Pep Guardiola Bayern

Read the rest of this entry →

Fiction vs Reality: Could Football Manager stars hit their fictional heights?

June 18, 2013 in Transfers

Pin It

Yeah, it’s a Football Manager article. I love Football Manager. I won’t bore you with my stats, but safe to say, I’m pretty much the greatest manager that has ever lived. One thing that I love about Football Manager is when you start seeing a player play in real life and you either sit there telling your friends that “I discovered him as a 16 year old playing in Estonia”, or you say “Why the hell hasn’t he scored 20 goals from corners before Christmas?” Either way, it’s fun. Once I even drunkenly tried to add a lower league Polish player who starred for me in FM 2010 on Facebook only for them to message me saying “Do I know you?” Sorry about that, Maciej Rogalski.

MaciejRogalski Read the rest of this entry →

Plugin by Social Author Bio