AVB gets breathing space at the expense of Fulham

December 5, 2013 in Premier League by Joseph Kingsley-Nyinah

Pin It

What a difference two thunderbastards make.

AVBSpurs

Because, when Berbatov put through Dejagah for 1-0, I thought it was over for Andre Villas-Boas. The media’s turned on him and (allegedly) so have the board and for good reason – no wins in four games, including utter humiliation at the hands of Manchester City meant that things weren’t going to stay easy for long. Added to his needlessly abrasive style with the press of late and it seemed like the writing was on the wall.

This is the AVB of Chelsea’s past.

Yesterday was the line, however. Failing to beat a Manchester City side scoring for fun is understandable (the manner of the defeat? Maybe not) and being sucked into the whirlwind of utter unpredictability of Manchester United without Sir Alex Ferguson is fair enough. Losing to a team who have sacked their manager after finding themselves in the bottom three would have been unacceptable.

Though, AVB wouldn’t quite have been dead to me. Maybe on life support.

Dejagah

So, when Dejagah scored his first Premier League goal for Fulham in the second half, I thought it was over. After all, we cannot score and goals are currency. That’s not necessarily down to our strikers, both of whom (notice I don’t include Adebayor, who I consider already dead) aren’t the type to create something out of nothing: the responsibility has to rest on our waning midfield and pedestrian build-up play. I miss the explosive counter-attacking of last year and nothing I have seen this season gave me the encouragement for me to believe Spurs could turn things around, even if we were away from home.

Cue The Man in the Plastic Mask.

VladChiriches

If you look up the definition of grass-cutter in the dictionary, you’d find a GIF of that goal underneath it. And then with the game delicately poised and (the hilariously overrated) Rene Menesteulen threatening to get his first points as Fulham manager, Lewis Holtby did his best impression of Gareth Bale, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat.

Beautiful.

ChirichesVsFFC

This win glosses over the cracks, but at this point that’s welcome. It gives the team the platform it needs to get over the Worst November Ever and AVB the time to fix this, if he can. It helps that the next game is against arguably the strongest team in the league (because they’re propping everyone else up).

And to think, two goals completely changed the tone of this article. But if that’s what it’s going to take to get the season back on track, I’ll snatch that option out of your hands.

Comments