Luck of the Draw: The Pots of World Cup 2014

November 29, 2013 in International, World Cup 2014 by Daniel Lloyd

Pin It

With one week to go until that all-important World Cup draw, I am going to take you through the pots, and what could be the potential best and worst outcomes for the English national side.

fifa-world-cup-trophy

Pot 1 is the host nation Brazil, plus the rest of the seeded teams that include Spain, Germany, Argentina, Colombia, Belgium, Uruguay and Switzerland. All in all, a pretty weird looking first pot seeing as Colombia and Belgium didn’t qualify last time, while Switzerland went out in their group due to a loss to Chile and a draw with Honduras after beating Spain of all teams. All the other teams are pretty similar to what you’d expect.

Pot 2 consists of the AFC (Asia) and CONCACAF (Central and North America) qualifiers. This is no doubt the worst pot to be drawn in as all the others have some pretty heavy artillery. No doubt there could be a couple of shocks from the likes of Japan, South Korea, Mexico and the USA, but this pot is largely consisted of teams who will probably not make it out of the group stages.

JozyAltidore

Pot 3 features the CAF (Africa) and CONMEBOL (South America) qualifiers as well as the lowest ranked European play-off qualifier, which this time round is 1998 World Champions France, seeded at a lowly 19th.

Pot 4 has all the European qualifiers and is England’s pot. This means the first round for the national team cannot consist of Portugal, Netherlands, Italy or Croatia, who would all be steep tasks for the Three Lions to overcome.

townsend england germany

Now, a scanning look at the pots would conclude that the worst possible outcome for England would be to face Brazil from Pot 1 (they never lose on home turf), USA from Pot 2 and France from Pot 3.

Of course as we saw from the last tournament, it doesn’t really matter who England are drawn against, they are bound to struggle as much as Fulham trying to avoid relegation under the reign of Martin Jol. They’ll likely do it, but it’s always going to be an uphill struggle.

Of course there are easier scenarios that they could face. Switzerland, Honduras and Algeria would be a welcome relief for most fans. Not for me though. Switzerland are sleeping dogs and Algeria proved to be a lot harder than they should have been last tournament, so as I said, there really is no easy group stage.

A Switzerland fan cheers on his team while attending their men's Group B football match against South Korea in the London 2012 Olympic Games at the City of Coventry stadium

Check back next weekend for a summary of the groups that have been drawn, as well as possible predicted outcomes in the knockout stages!

Comments