England Squad Announced: NEW STARTERS!

November 7, 2013 in International by Daniel Lloyd

Pin It

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster, Joe Hart, John Ruddy

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Kieran Gibbs, Phil Jagielka, Glen Johnson, Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Kyle Walker

Midfielders: Ross Barkley, Michael Carrick, Tom Cleverley, Steven Gerrard, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Andros Townsend, Jack Wilshere

Forwards: Jermain Defoe, Rickie Lambert, Jay Rodriguez, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Daniel Welbeck

England v Switzerland - EURO 2012 Qualifier

So there it is. The England squad announced to face Chile and Germany.

I’ve seen better, I’ve seen worse; but one thing I do like to see is new faces in an England squad that is usually as fresh-faced as a night out in Magaluf.

Adam Lallana and Jay Rodriguez (who is also eligible for Spain) have joined their partner in crime Rickie Lambert among the 23 best English players, and after Southampton’s stonking start to the season, who can blame Roy for picking them? In reality though, both players are added just to actually give us something to talk about with the squad. Both will maybe be included on the sub bench and get a max of 20 minutes to show what they can do, and with Jay Rodriguez against that German back line (Berlin wall anyone?), I’m not expecting much.

Adam-Lallana_2807988

The defence is as good as it’s going to be anytime soon (welp!), and we can expect a fairly regular first starting team too. Sturridge and Rooney up front is a given, with both having a good chance of doing damage against Chile’s back line - it’s pretty shoddy. Thank god for Alexis Sanchez, their saviour.

People might look at this as a cursory squad for the World Cup, and they may well be right, but there is a long time to go and a lot of people to consider before Roy can even think about that.

Roy Hodgson has said that Joe Hart will start one of the games, most likely to be Germany. So this could mean that we get to see current Celtic number one Fraser Forster in goal for England for the first time against Chile. Interesting. Seems like Roy might finally be considering other options after the nightmare few weeks Joe Hart has had.

England-v-Republic-of-Ireland-Joe-Hart_2952197

There were strong rumours that this squad would feature a plethora of younger talent too. Names touted were Saido Berahino, Luke Shaw and Ravel Morrison, but none of them made the cut this time. That said, I’m not exactly excited by the prospects coming through our ranks. They’re okay, but we’re no Belgium. Eric Dier and Will Hughes are probably the best we have to offer.

It’s hard to be thrilled by the announcement of a team that never changes, and one that rides along on their own egos. Sure most of them are good enough to play consistently, but when Clever Tom is a sure thing, you know your team has problems. Every single squad over the course of the next couple of years (barring injury or retirement) will feature Wayne Rooney, Ashley Cole, Steven Gerrard, Michael Carrick, Glen Johnson and Jermain Defoe. And while they may not necessarily play, can England not introduce others to the prospects of an international career? If you aren’t going to use Jermain Defoe and Glen Johnson, bring in the aforementioned talent of Berahino and Carl Jenkinson. Just to give them a run out.

Long gone are the days of my excitement about England. We’ll probably draw with Chile and then lose to Germany. Same sh*t, different day.

Comments