The Rise and Rise of Aaron Ramsey

October 25, 2013 in Premier League by Ballsy Banter

Pin It

If you ask me who is the one player in the Premier League that is in the form of his life and undoubtedly enjoying his football, a name immediately comes to mind: Aaron Ramsey.

Ramsey

The 2013/14 season has so far seen a brilliant start for the Welsh captain as he looks like a player transformed after a great pre-season. In the run of games, Ramsey has impressed his critics with performances filled with flair and determination, as well as bagging in a total of nine goals in 13 appearances so far in all competitions - not bad for a midfielder, I say. It is also worth noting that Arsenal are benefiting highly from his hard-working displays as the Gunners have managed to win on every occasion that Ramsey has scored. These wins were against Norwich, Swansea, Stoke and Sunderland where he bagged a brace; impressive for someone who had scored only two goals in the season before. My pick from all of his goals has to be the one he scored last weekend against Norwich. Only a player brimming with confidence can attempt such trickery to chop three Norwich defenders inside the box and finish the ball in a cool manner.

Ramsey’s development into such a player has been lengthy and difficult, ever since his horrific leg-break at the Britannia Stadium. The player endured an 8-month absence spanning from February to November back in 2010, and even when he made his return, he had to be eased back to full fitness by going on loan to Nottingham Forest and his hometown club Cardiff City. Upon his return to the Arsenal first-team, Ramsey was able to complete two full seasons in which his form fluctuated time and time again. There were moments where even I started to fear and doubt whether he would be able to grow into the potential player Wenger saw in him, and it is fair to say that Arsenal fans were starting to think of him as the weak link in the midfield, one who did not deserve a starting place in the squad. This perception was noticeably carried on to the FIFA games on the PS3 and Xbox, where the player controlling Arsenal would quickly make Ramsey the first player to be removed from the team.

ramsey2

But on a serious note, credit is given where credit is due.  Arsene Wenger as many times before, stuck with his beliefs and continued to give Ramsey the chance to succeed in his squad, and it seems like that plan is finally paying off. Credit is also due to Ramsey, who has answered back to his critics in the best way possible by: 1) being professional on and off the pitch and 2) retaining the desire and determination to win a place within a very competitive midfield that is not short of players oozing with great quality. We can’t forget that the lad is only 22 and has plenty to learn and experience in the wonderful game.

The real test comes now for Ramsey and Arsenal in my opinion. With a string of games against some tough opposition to come, it will be interesting to see if he can continue his amazing run of form against the likes of Liverpool, Manchester United and Southampton. Come through these games with match-winning performances like he did against the other teams, then there is no doubt he will win over new admirers. If he disappears during matches and makes silly errors like he has in the past, then his critics will surface back up and start the dreadful bandwagon that can damage a player’s spirit.

Ramsey2

I and all other Arsenal fans should have full confidence in Ramsey’s ability to shine through these upcoming games, as he has shown good evidence of what he is really capable of doing. His running engine, developed vision, skilful technique, and not to forget his improved finishing, combine to make him a valuable asset of the midfield. You can see that the opportunity of playing with top players like Ozil, Wilshere and Cazorla is also improving his style of play and presence in the midfield. He no longer looks like a player who is still recovering from a broken leg. Who knows, if things continue like this, we may see not only the rise of Aaron Ramsey but the rise of Arsenal. Only time will tell that story.

Comments