Premier League Preview

October 18, 2013 in Premier League by William Kent

Pin It

The international break is over and we can all go back to watching something we actually enjoy, instead of the painful viewing we repeatedly go through with England. So, how’re the weekend’s Premier League fixtures probably not going to pan out? See below.

Premier League TrophyNewcastle v Liverpool
The weekend’s early kick off will no doubt be an entertaining one, with the two sides last meeting featuring 6 goals, all scored by Liverpool, inflicting Newcastle’s worst home defeat since 1925. The Reds have lost just 4 away games since September last year, whilst Newcastle have been busy losing 10 of their last 20 homes games. Apart from their game with Manchester City, this is arguably their toughest task yet; a Liverpool side on fire and now even further improved with a Luis Saurez back running and scoring goals.

My prediction: 2-1 Liverpool

arse

Arsenal v Norwich
League leaders Arsenal return this weekend to host Norwich City; a side, it’s fair to say, that haven’t started particularly well. Despite the Gunner’s storming start, I’d predict the international break to have harmed the team’s momentum, a potential gift to the Canaries. However, Norwich have won just 3 of their last 20 league games away, a worrying statistic if you’re a fan.

My prediction: 2-1 Arsenal

Chelsea v Cardiff
Chelsea’s home form has been impressive this season, taking all 9 points up for grabs and conceding just 1 goal. Cardiff themselves aren’t the worst side away from home and have proved they can step up and at least challenge the big boys, proved by a confident 3-2 victory over Manchester City. However, despite these glimpses, I fully expect Mourinho’s men to win, and these are the games they definitely should be winning if they’re to be a serious title contending side.

My prediction: 3-0 Chelsea

Everton-v-Newcastle-Ross-Barkley-celeb_3012203

Everton v Hull
One of the more interesting fixtures this weekend, with just 1 point separating the two sides. Everton’s last outing saw them suffer their first defeat of the season, whilst Hull have impressed with victories over Newcastle and West Ham. Steve Bruce’s side have not conceded a Premier League goal for 226 minutes… will Romelu Lukaku shatter this statistic? He’s looking a serious force this season, questioning Jose Mourinho of all managers regarding his decision to send him out on loan. Martinez and his Everton army have looked a bit shaky over their last couple of fixtures, with a loss and a two 3-2 victories revealing signs that they do have their weaknesses.

My prediction: 2-2

Manchester United v Southampton
Probably the most intriguing fixture of weekend, a struggling United side face a high flying Southampton. Some regard Southampton as the season’s dark horses and if they deal Moyes’ boys another loss, his job could be in real jeopardy. Adnan Januzaj is expected to keep his spot after his essential role in his side’s victory over Sunderland and there’s more talk that Rio Ferdinand could be fit after suffering a groin injury. Wayne Rooney finding the net in both England games is also a plus for the side, so it’ll be up to Southampton’s defence, a solid defence who have conceded just 2 goals in 7 games, to keep out England’s main man.

My prediction: 1-0 Manchester United

Man-City

West Ham v Manchester City
West Ham have been one of the most unpredictable sides so far this season, a 1-0 loss to Hull followed by an outstanding 3-0 win over Spurs. Manchester City themselves have also been unreliable this season. I could see this game could going either way. City are yet to win away this season, which, for title contenders has to change very soon. Ravel Morrison is catching everyone’s eye for good reasons this time, and with England’s World Cup squad selection now under consideration, further head turning performances could see his name in the mix.

My prediction: 3-1 Manchester City

Stoke v West Brom
West Brom have had a pretty encouraging start to season in terms of away form. Stalemates with Fulham and Everton aren’t bad results, topped off with a 2-1 victory over champions United. Their last league outing also featured a draw with Arsenal. Stoke on the other hand haven’t started so brightly, perched over the relegation zone in 16th place, they need to start picking up points. Having scored just 2 goals in their last 5 games was exactly what I feared when the Potter’s started the season, they lack a goal threat. Unless Mark Hughes dips into the transfer window during January, relegation surely looms, in my opinion, anyway.

My prediction: 2-0 West Brom

Craig Gardner

Swansea v Sunderland

Sunderland are in serious trouble. Gus Poyet’s first game in charge against 15th place Swansea is a good game to ease into, and is also a winnable game which could be the turning point for Sunderland’s season. In my opinion, the next 5 games will decide Sunderland’s fate, poor results and nothing will change their direction towards the Championship. All hope relies on Poyet’s shoulders to improve morale and impact the team from the off. Their challengers, Swansea, have also had a shaky start, losing their last 2 games. Pablo Hernandez and Jonathan de Guzman are available after injury, but all eyes are still on Wilfried Bony, who needs to start putting them away in the Premier League like he does with ease in Europe.

My prediction: 1-1

Aston Villa v Tottenham
Both sides have had impressive and headache-inducing results this season. Villa can beat City and Arsenal but lose to Norwich? The same applies to Spurs, a draw with Chelsea followed by a 3-0 destruction from West Ham. Both sides, like many others within this league, lack consistency. Christian Benteke is back to bolster Aston Villa’s attacking threat whilst Spurs are still bedding in all the new signings. It’s a tough one to call.

My prediction: 1-1

Darren-Bent-Fulham

Crystal Palace v Fulham
If Palace want to stay up, they should be looking to take points from teams such as Fulham. Just one win this season, over bottom of the league Sunderland, has no doubt set Holloway’s panic alarms off. Struggling to score and struggling to keep a clean sheet is a description of a club destined to the downstairs league. Fulham, another side struggling to set the world alight, are also in the deep end. A 1-0 win against Stoke a couple of weeks ago is a good stepping stone, but they need to push on from that, with no other way than winning at Selhurst Park this coming Monday.

My prediction: 2-0 Fulham

Anyone have a spare quid? Which they wouldn’t mind putting in the bin? Hang on, why not put all of my Saturday’s fixture predictions on an accumulator and have a moment’s joy at seeing roughly 450-1 odds. Why not?

Comments