Cole’s Injury Leaves Huge Opportunities

October 8, 2013 in International by Daniel Lloyd

Pin It

It is a widespread opinion that while Ashley Cole has been England’s number one left back for the past the past 12 years. Lately he has got more than a little competition of keeping that place, with Leighton Baines right behind him in the pecking order. And with Cashley picking up a rib injury recently, another opportunity has arisen for Baines to cement his intentions to take that number one spot away from Cole.

England v Switzerland - EURO 2012 Qualifier

Read the rest of this entry →

Poyet or bust, Sunderland’s only option?

October 7, 2013 in Premier League by Ben Said Scott

Pin It

From living in London and not having too many friends who are fans of Sunderland, my understanding of how we as a club are seen is very different. Along with the likes of Norwich or West Bromwich Albion, we are perceived as perennial strugglers, a smaller club than our neighbours Newcastle. Whether or not this is true is of course from my perspective highly debatable but regardless it is in this context that Sunderland football club has to go fishing for a new manager.

The speculation on who will be the new manager has churned up the same familiar faces that are perennially linked with all lower Premier League/top of the Championship jobs. For example Steve McLaren a heavy favourite a few weeks ago for the job at the Stadium of Light has now been appointed as Derby County manager following Nigel Clough’s sacking. Because we are operating in this market the other names linked unfortunately don’t really inspire any more confidence than McLaren’s either. Tony Pulis, Alex McLeish and probably Alan Curbishley (don’t remember a job where he wasn’t the bookies early frontrunner) have all been linked but really none of those would take us further as a club. Keep us up? Maybe. Set up a system of play that will guarantee long term success? Not in any way.

Read the rest of this entry →

Ikechi Anya, Watford’s rising star is Britain’s shining example.

October 4, 2013 in Championship by Ben Said Scott

Pin It

Watford winger Ikechi Anya is fast becoming a household name. This season has started where the last kicked off with Anya’s career going from strength to strength. His first goal for Scotland came in his first international call up. Domestically his form has helped Watford recover from their chaotic end to last season (where they were all most promoted both on the final day and in the play-off final), this also included an early goal of the season in which he ran half the length of the field with the ball before netting against Barnsley.

However if Anya and the Hornets can secure promotion to the Premier League Anya’s route to the top will not have been easy. In fact Anya’s young career may have stopped before it had even started, which would have not only been a shame for the player himself but an indictment on the British player development system itself.

Ikechi-Anya-2267964

Read the rest of this entry →

Jol has all the right pieces, but he can’t get them to fit.

October 4, 2013 in Premier League by Matty Deller

Pin It

Being a Fulham fan right now isn’t exactly a bed of roses. The team has won once in the league all season, and twice thrown away leads against beatable opposition in Cardiff and a West Brom side who were at the time, without a win that season. The team looks sluggish going forward, too defensive throughout the game and even though we play deep win, lose or draw – we are still leaking goals every game. So what gives? A section of fans have nailed their colours to the mast be it through their voices or their keyboard that Martin Jol is working on borrowed time, if you read the tabloids and the online sources ‘in the know’. But what exactly has gone wrong down by the river?

Soccer - Barclays Premier League - Fulham v West Bromwich Albion - Craven Cottage

Read the rest of this entry →

Can Arsenal win the League this season?

October 3, 2013 in Premier League by William Kent

Pin It

It’s a bit premature to start judging whether teams are likely to win the league or not, but Arsenal’s storming start with 5 wins out of 6 games combined with victories in the Champions League and the Capital One cup, predictions have already begun.
ozil_arsenal_8_38111

Read the rest of this entry →