Liverpool braced for United test

August 30, 2013 in Premier League by George Curtis

Pin It

Never before have two 1-0 victories been met with such unbridled elation, yet Liverpool’s perfect start to the new Premier League season has supporters salivating at what their side can achieve in the coming nine months. It’s a sign of Liverpool’s misfortunes of the post-Benitez era that two slightly fortunate wins against Stoke City and Aston Villa, two clubs burdened with the expectation that they shan’t stave off relegation, have caused as much optimism and hysteria as seen at Anfield since the 2007 Champions League final. As contenting as Daniel Sturridge’s brace of match-winning strikes was, there needs to be a reality check on Merseyside before people start getting carried away. The perfect time, then, for Manchester United to pay a visit.

VanPersieGerrard Read the rest of this entry →

Barcelona - Do We Need To Start Asking Questions?

August 29, 2013 in La Liga by Daniel Lloyd

Pin It

It’s just been fact that over the past few years, Barcelona have been one of, if not the best club team in the world, from the likes of Ronaldinho/Rijkaard, to Messi/Guardiola and everyone since and in-between.

MessiPep
Read the rest of this entry →

Tottenham’s Tasty Transfer Treats

August 21, 2013 in Premier League, Transfers by Joseph Kingsley-Nyinah

Pin It

So, I have a confession to make.

As of around… *checks watch* five days ago, I no longer give a f*ck about Gareth Bale’s drawn-out rendition of The Clash. I shrug about journalistic sources saying he’s sure to go without any kind of quote attached, images of a man arriving to do his job (STOP THE PRESSES) or the general murmuring of “How are they possibly going to replace him?”

I’ve probably been a bit blunt. Let me try this another way.

Aston Villa v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League

Read the rest of this entry →

The Perfect Start For Manuel Pellegrini

August 21, 2013 in Premier League by Louis Baxter

Pin It

When Manuel Pellegrini stepped out of the tunnel in his first competitive game as manager of Manchester City, the response was somewhat muted. Polite applause, certainly no hostility, but an absence of uproar nonetheless. In a way, this was understandable. The City fans loved Pellegrini’s predecessor Roberto Mancini. They viewed him as the man who finally brought City in from the cold, who gave them success after a lifetime of humiliation and under achievement, and his sacking made no sense to them. The only model of sustained success they have seen is the 25 plus year reign of Sir Alex Ferguson, and they wanted to follow in those footballing footsteps. The sacking of Mancini put an end to that, and left a lot of City fans a bit lost.

Pelligrini

Read the rest of this entry →

Arsene Wenger: From Invincibles To Invisible

August 20, 2013 in Features, Premier League by Ballsy Banter

Pin It

The amount of articles currently doing the rounds depicting the demise of Arsenal is astonishing. No matter how dramatic, over-exaggerated, or pathetic the opinions may be about the current shape of Arsenal, the harsh reality of the situation is that Arsenal are two seasons short of a decade without silverware; a scenario that many fans who still remember the Invincibles year of 2003-4 could simply not have dreamt up when our manager was on top of his game.

Arsenal have always been a team that have prided themselves on perfecting the art of football, down to every stylish pass and kick, playing the ‘beautiful’ game under the regime of the French ‘Professor’, Mr Arsene Wenger. Eight and half years on, and it seems that even the Professor can sometimes go a bit nutty.

LOL ARSENAL 2

Read the rest of this entry →