Are PSG going to be left behind by Monaco?

July 10, 2013 in Ligue 1, Transfers by Daniel Lloyd

With recent rumours that star centre back and captain Thiago Silva is seemingly on his way to Barcelona, there is a real chance that the once all powerful Paris Saint-Germain could be left behind this summer in the transfer market, at least compared to their high spending counterparts AS Monaco.

AS Monaco have already signed a grand total of nine players, with no signs of slowing down. Most of these players will go straight into the first team - footballers such as Falcao, Moutinho, Rodriguez and Toulalan will have no problem overlapping their Ligue 2 predecessors - while ageing veterans Carvalho and Abidal will provide some much needed defensive cover. So far, Monaco have spend £127m, compared to PSG’s…£0. So what has happened to the team that splurged almost £130m last season, and why have they not secured anyone as of yet?LEO

As we all know, the likelihood of them signing a major name this week is pretty high, with the arrival of Edinson Cavani all but confirmed, who, if rumours are to be believed, will cost the club anywhere from £50-70m. But is the arrival of Cavani really necessary for the Parisian outfit, or is it just a case of buying him so another team won’t? After all, their current star striker scored 30 goals in 34 games last season, in Ligue 1 alone. Ibrahimovic is no doubt one of the best players in the world, but how will he feel sharing some of the glory with a new player? And in Cavani, PSG would have a player who could potentially eclipse Ibrahimovic in the pecking order, which would not do the Swede’s monumental ego any favours. And let’s not forget, with Ibrahimovic at 31 years old now, Cavani would be the much simpler choice to make, although if this were to be true,  I would imagine Ibrahimovic would start seeking a club almost immediately, with a team like Anzhi more than willing to pay Zlatan whatever he wants.Edinson+Cavani+Gran+Gala+del+Calcio+Aic+2011+PNFbNZsGwHWl

So in the very near future, PSG could be losing two players that they paid Milan through the nose for in Zlatan and Thiago Silva, but in my opinion, if they sign Cavani, they shouldn’t have too much problem competing for the title, as Mamadou Sakho can more than cover Silva’s absence in defence. While obviously not the same class, Sakho is still young, and is very capable at holding his own. Also, PSG still have a much stronger squad than most of their competitors. If Falcao got injured for Monaco, they would have to revert back to their Ligue 2 strike force, whereas PSG would still have Cavani, Lavezzi and Gameiro to put up front.

And with the Thiago Silva transfer potentially becoming a saga of the summer, PSG would expect to recoup a lot of money for the talented Brazilian, with President Nasser Al-Khelaifi even going as far as saying: “I wouldn’t sell Thiago Silva if I received a €1bn offer for him. He is not leaving.” Obviously an exaggeration from him, but needless to say, PSG will not let their captain leave easily, even though apparently Silva has agreed personal terms with the Catalan club.THIAGO

Monaco’s main problem of the next season will be that while they will have a great first team, they still need to develop their squad. Also, another target they need to focus on is their goalkeeper. They currently have either Flavio Roma or Danijel Subasic, neither of whom are particularly great keepers. And I don’t see how the likes of Carvalho and Raggi (Monaco’s current best centre backs) could cope with the potential pairing of Ibrahimovic and Cavani, however long that may last.

Bottom line is that Monaco are not on PSG’s standards quite yet, although they may very well be if they continue their spending habits.

Comments