Carragher retirement leaves Liverpool with problems

May 30, 2013 in Premier League, Transfers by George Curtis

Never has a Premier League season had to say goodbye to people of such influence as it has this season. Manchester United have bid an emotional farewell to Sir Alex Ferguson and Paul Scholes, two pioneers of the club’s success over the past two decades, whilst Liverpool are adjusting to life without Jamie Carragher, after the 35-year old announced he would be leaving the red strip of Liverpool for the black suit of the Sky Sports studio. Despite his waning contributions over the past couple of seasons, the legacy he leaves will be difficult to pick up.

Carragher Read the rest of this entry →

The Monaco Transfer Saga Continues…

May 27, 2013 in Ligue 1, Transfers by Daniel Lloyd

Let’s wind the clocks back to 2011: Monaco, just seven years after coming up short in the Champions League final against Porto, had been relegated to Ligue 2 after a shocking 2010-2011 season. The club then gets bought out by Russian billionaire Dmitry Rybolovlev, and Claudio Ranieri is brought in to steady the sinking ship shortly after. Fast forward to the present day, and Monaco seem to be back on their way to prominence after just having topped Ligue 2.

MonacoPromotion Read the rest of this entry →

Why Fernandinho to Man City just makes sense

May 22, 2013 in Premier League, Transfers by Joseph Kingsley-Nyinah

This week, Manchester City have unveiled a new home kit made by Nike and a whole new football team based in the City That Never Sleeps. That’s Big Pimpin’, no matter how you look at it.

No new personnel, though. Important to a team without a manager.

Read the rest of this entry →

Yeovil reach the Championship as Brentford fall short

May 22, 2013 in League 1 by Ben Said Scott

Last week, I wrote an article detailing the similarity between the exciting route to the play-off finals for both Brentford and Watford. Aside from being genuinely great footballing stories, the reason I blogged about them was that I have been fortunate to get tickets to both games as a supporter of Brentford and Watford.

Rosler Read the rest of this entry →

5 Championship players worth keeping an eye on

May 22, 2013 in Championship by Matt Harrison

This time next week, we’ll know which one of Watford or Crystal Palace will be filling the last Premier League spot for the 2013/14 season. We’ll either being congratulating the Udinese B Team on getting promoted in a different country, or we’ll all be realising that Ian Holloway just isn’t as funny second time around. Either way, as soon as the ticker tape hits the floor and Wembley stop playing whatever the current feel good hit of the summer is in celebration, thoughts will turn towards August and the beginning of next season. So with the summer and next season in mind, here are my “5 players who may or may not be plying their trade in the Championship next season but were there this season so are worth watching” list (titles aren’t my strong suit).

NPowerGoal

Read the rest of this entry →