Crisis on Tyneside shows no signs of halting

April 30, 2013 in Premier League by Daniel Lloyd

Sunday 14th April. Newcastle have just lost 3-0 at St. James’ Park to their most bitter of rivals, Sunderland, and most Toon fans would have thought it couldn’t get any worse.

WRONG!

Saturday 27th April. Newcastle lose 6-0 to Liverpool, once again at home, in what was their worst defeat in a home fixture since 1925. That is 88 years.

Read the rest of this entry →

Where did it go wrong at Wolves?

April 30, 2013 in Championship by Matt Harrison

Let’s just get straight to the point: 9 out of 10 Wolves fans will probably say “sacking Mick McCarthy” was where it went wrong. After this weekend’s home loss to Burnley and subsequent “scenes”, Wolves are on the brink of back-to-back relegations. Should they achieve it, they’ll be the first team since Swindon to manage this outstanding feat. They need three points away at fortress Brighton on the final day of the season, plus losses for two teams above them and a four-goal swing in goal difference.

WolvesFans Read the rest of this entry →

Reading and QPR Go Out With A Whimper

April 29, 2013 in Premier League by Louis Baxter

QPR and Reading were officially relegated yesterday, after playing out a limp, embarrassingly passive 0-0 draw at the Madejski stadium. Each needed a win to maintain their respective delusions of survival, or at least the prospect of avoiding the metaphorical wooden spoon that comes with finishing 20th in the Premier League, but neither could find the desire or the quality. Perhaps the wooden spoon should be shared this season,  because yesterday, Reading and QPR were both equally deserving of it, with utterly no muster to even go down fighting.

Read the rest of this entry →

Can Liverpool Afford To Let Luis Suarez Go?

April 22, 2013 in Premier League by Louis Baxter

The final game of last season at the Etihad, memorable for so many reasons, had one sub-plot notably mixed in amongst the more grandstanding central narrative. It was the moment everyone decided they’d had enough of Joey Barton. Despite numerous disciplinary faux pas throughout his early career, that season Barton did his best to change his image. He gave interviews to the Guardian, he tweeted about philosophy and generally used the words ‘grown up’ as often as he could. And a large part of the footballing press seemed prepared to grant him a second chance, until on the grandest stage he’ll ever play on, Barton showed who he really was. Barton carried on talking, carried on giving interviews, but it was already over. He was who he was forever.

Read the rest of this entry →

What is a ‘football hipster’?

April 19, 2013 in Features by Ballsy Banter

I cannot stand football. Granted, I watch about five full matches a week, but this is purely ironic. To me, the Premier League is nothing more than an indulgence, something to be filed alongside E4’s Made in Chelsea. You may despise almost everyone involved, but boy does it make for great viewing. Unlike what the consensus thinks, I don’t believe that Gary Neville is a breath of fresh air for punditry. Nor do I think that Borussia Dortmund are the saviours of 21st century footballing culture. In fact, just the mention of any FIFA game is enough to make me actually sick. That includes FIFA ‘98. And Blur’s ‘Song 2’.

Read the rest of this entry →