How to spend your four-day weekend in the lower leagues

March 28, 2013 in Championship, League 1 by Matt Harrison

The international break is over! And now that Stevan Jovetic has finished proving to everyone why I bought him for £32m on Football Manager, Saturdays once again mean wall-to-wall football, “Unbelievable Jeff”, and Gary Lineker once again letting his twitter followers know that he doesn’t pick the MOTD running order. Feels like ages since we had a regular weekend of football, and combine that with a four-day weekend (sorry if you work bank holidays, I used to have to, I feel your pain), so I thought I’d give you the a non-stop guide to how you could spend your four days off.

Huddersfield Read the rest of this entry →

England’s tactical errors - Where they could improve

March 27, 2013 in International by Daniel Lloyd

Last night, England drew 1-1 with Montenegro, leaving them still floundering around in second place in the group, which, for a team of England’s calibre, just isn’t good enough. I believe that it came from England’s tactical and personnel errors, as well as Roy Hodgson’s lack of belief in certain players, and media pressure to play some players over others.

Read the rest of this entry →

Nigel Adkins is the perfect appointment for Reading

March 27, 2013 in Premier League by Jonathan Holdstock

As soon as the news broke that Brian McDermott had been sacked, the first manager that came to my mind to replace him was Nigel Adkins. Now after a nervy wait where Gus Poyet rejected us and Adkins was apparently not interested initially, the former Southampton manager has been hired as Reading’s new manager; much to my delight, as I firmly believe he is the right man to lead us forward.

nigel-adkins_g_2518273b Read the rest of this entry →

A curse for Steven Fletcher could be the Black Cats’ luck

March 26, 2013 in Premier League by Ben Said Scott

It was reported earlier this week that Scottish international Steven Fletcher would be sidelined for at least six weeks. During the Tartan Army’s defeat to Wales last Friday, the forward suffered ankle ligament damage and will certainly be missing for their game against Serbia. But with only two points from five games, and their campaign for World Cup 2014 basically over, Fletcher’s absence for that game will not be as sorely felt as it will for his club team Sunderland. At least that is what the media will have you believe.

Steven Fletcher, before the turn of the year, was perhaps the brightest spark of an already disappointing season for Sunderland’s supporters (I only put the proviso of ‘perhaps’ because of the stellar work of goalkeeper Simon Mignolet, who is destined for very big things). Ten goals before the end of January was a fantastic return from a player many deemed to be too expensive at £12m. However, since the January deadline day signing of Danny Graham from Swansea, Fletcher has been largely impotent; a solitary consolation goal in an embarrassing defeat to Queens Park Rangers has been his only return in that period.

Read the rest of this entry →

Is David Beckham the catalyst for the future of football in China?

March 22, 2013 in Uncategorized by Jamie Levitt

A few weeks ago, I wrote about the heroes and villains of football. The player I elected as hero was David Beckham. It seems that David has read my piece, and having consulted his agent, is looking to build on the good work he is doing for the brand ‘Football’.

Maybe I had it wrong, maybe Beckham isn’t a Hollywood leading man, but actually a charismatic preacher, a pope-like figure who travels the world spreading the gospel of grass-roots footballing infrastructure and youth development. Beckham, who, incidentally, has never played against China, finds himself an ambassador once again.

Read the rest of this entry →