A Spurs blog that doesn’t mention Gareth Bale

February 27, 2013 in Premier League

With no Champions League this week, I could pretty much choose what I wanted to write about. So today, I’m gonna talk about a topic close to my heart – Spurs.

… not him, Tottenham Hotspur. Y’know, because a team is more than one man.

It’s a wonder the difference a year can make. Andre Villas-Boas, after the harshest of initiations into English football, now sits above the team that discarded him with one of their bitterest rivals, and I’m loving it. After constant reports of losing the dressing room, upsetting the backroom staff and three-match ultimatums, it’s a great thing to see his tactical framework fully adapted to the Premier League, as well as his mistakes during man-managing Chelsea not replicated at Spurs Lodge.

This is for many reasons, including us having Hugo Lloris, the all-action keeper AVB needs to play his patented High LineTM. He sweeps and saves in a manner I believe he wouldn’t have been able to had he been put straight into the side. Without his time to adjust to a new club, he’s Heurelho Gomes II. With it, he’s one of the three world-class players we have, Hugo Boss.

The third is currently using his ample spare time  posting his face shopped onto the Incredible Hulk. Sandro’s absence is the crux of one of our key problems; without him, Moussa Dembele looks jaded and Scott Parker’s “lack of match-fitness” isn’t helping (DIPLOMACY).

A possible solution is to give Tom Carroll a chance. He was quietly efficient in his cameo on Monday, achieving a 100% passing record and an assist. But with a hard run-in including the likes of Chelsea, Man City and Wigan (assuming they enter God Mode as they always do from March), that has a touch of the baptism of fire about it.
Sigurdsson, Dempsey and Holtby are also options, the latter having played there before, but I feel that they would be more use higher up the pitch. Which brings me to our second major problem, but the less said about our strikers, the better. We’ve looked almost toothless at times without someone to put away our chances.

But the grit we’ve been showing to stay in games is pleasing to see. Where we used to roll over and die, we’re fighting to stay in it till the death. Monday’s game showcased our new-found mental strength - Michael Dawson played with authority, Jan Vertonghen was and is immense, and Kyle Walker was willing to put his body on the line; along with the youth products represented (Caulker impressive as always and Jake Livermore looking like… Jake Livermore), I’m optimistic and feel like we could beat anyone! Who we got next?

Arsenal?

Bugger. We’re gonna need a hero.

Follow @BallsyBanter on Twitter for good times, and @JoeKingley for the same smattered with self-loathing.

Comments