Gareth Bale, Welcome to the World’s Elite

February 11, 2013 in Premier League

Dear Mr Bale,

I am delighted to inform you that your performances for Tottenham Hotspur over the last few seasons have been nothing short of superb. You are now winning games single-handedly for your club, and with that, I would like to welcome you to an exclusive club - “The World’s Elite”. As a member, you will automatically be worth in excess of £50 million, be lauded by the world’s media and be linked with all the best clubs in the world, but remember, with great power comes great responsibility.

I would like to wish you great success both on and off the pitch and enjoy being part of the World’s Elite.

Kind Regards

Jonathan Holdstock

-

Yep, I have officially inducted Gareth Bale into my club of the World’s Elite players. He joins the usual suspects, Messi, Ronaldo, Le Fondre etc in doing so, but I can honestly say, I never thought he would be as good as he has become.

When you look at his career so far at Spurs, it is hard to believe that when he first joined not only did it take him 24 games to taste victory for his new club, he was also kept out of the team by Benoit Assou-Ekotto; just think about that for a second, seems hilarious now, doesn’t it? But Bale did struggle at left-back, which is why it was vital that Harry Redknapp took a punt on him playing on the left wing. Imagine if he didn’t take that chance, would Bale be the same player as he is now? Definitely not.

The turning point in his career for me was when he scored two goals against Stoke, the second that amazing high volley right into the top corner. That seemed to give him so much more confidence, which he took into that game at the San Siro where he completely destroyed Maicon, the world’s best right back at the time, scoring a fabulous hat-trick despite Spurs being down to ten men and being 4-0 down. He single-handedly rallied his team in this game, and that is what the world’s best players do on a regular basis. Just look at Lionel Messi, Andres Iniesta and Cristiano Ronaldo, every time they get the ball you can sense that they are going to do something amazing, and in most games, they generally do just that. Bale makes me think this whenever he picks up the ball now.

Two weeks ago, his team struggled against a dogged West Brom team who, despite being a man down, looked fairly comfortable, but so often a moment of magic decides these games and that is just what Bale produced, hitting a rasping shot from the edge of the box right into the roof of the net. That is exactly what Ronaldo did for Manchester United time and time again, his moments of brilliance won them so many games. The reason for this is that they both share a similar attribute - being almost impossible to stop when they are in top gear. They are so fast and such fine athletes that you just have to feel sorry for defenders coming up against them.

It is imperative that Tottenham get Champions League football at the end of the season, because if they don’t, then I can see Bale leaving for pastures new. He will be chased by all the top clubs in the world, but it will ultimately end up in a showdown between Barcelona, Real Madrid, Manchester United and Manchester City. There is a crying shame in all of this, however. World class players should be showcased in the World Cup, but with Wales being particularly poor, Bale will end up like Ryan Giggs, Eric Cantona and George Best - being world class, but never playing in a World Cup.

Comments