Five Of The Worst January Transfer Signings Ever

January 8, 2013 in Features, Transfers

As the January transfer window starts to get into gear, here are my five worst January transfers ever made.

-

Fernando Torres – Liverpool to Chelsea – £50 million

This transfer often reminds me of poker; your brain stops functioning as the clock counts down into the final seconds, you gamble and throw all your chips in just hoping for the best, but 9 out of 10 times losing. This just seemed like Roman Abramovich’s all-in attempt at salvaging Chelsea’s aim of retaining the league title.

Now, Chelsea are stuck with Torres, and without making one of the most humiliating losses of all time by selling him on, they’re hoping that, one day, the old Torres of his earlier Liverpool days might just come back.

However, with 7 goals in 20 games this season so far and back working with old boss Rafael Benitez, he can’t be classed as a write-off just yet… but admittedly, time is close to running out.

-

Andy Carroll – Newcastle to Liverpool – £35 million

andy-carroll_2182522b

Carroll made his professional debut in October 2008, and just 80 games later, he’s already being shipped on for a staggering £35m. Was he just THAT good?

I sat in amazement watching Sky Sports News on transfer deadline day, watching Newcastle reject a £30 million bid from Liverpool just for them to up it even further for a relatively raw and unproven young talent. As this whole transfer saga evolved in front of my eyes, it slowly became a reality and turned into one of those ‘if I don’t laugh, I’ll cry’ moments, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Mike Ashley is still laughing now. Andy Carroll has done little for Liverpool except deplete their transfer funds, and to put the icing on the cake, Carroll is now no longer playing for Liverpool but he is on loan at West Ham.

-

Savio Nsereko - Brescia to West Ham - £9 million

Football was definitely not a strong point of Savio Nsereko. Currently a free agent - and has been for a while - after being released by a third division German side, this guy really was West Ham’s worst ever signing. Ten games and no goals, sold onto Fiorentina, who he didn’t even play one minute for before being moved on again.

It was only two months ago that he faked his own kidnapping to his family as well, and he now faces trial for this bizarre event. At least he could potentially have an interesting biography, he’s only 23.

-

Fernando Morientes - Real Madrid to Liverpool - £6.5 million

Arriving at Anfield with a good reputation, having been the integral part of the Monaco side which reached the Champions League final two seasons previous, Liverpool looked as if they had found a cure to their striking problems. How wrong they were.

A huge drop in form ultimately lead to Morientes’ exit a year later after a dismal 61 games which only saw him score 12 times.

-

Afonso Alves – Heerenveen to Middlesborough – £12.7 million

A Brazilian international, full of flair and with 45 goals to his name from 38 appearances for his previous side, a record any other striker would have been proud of, Alves transferred to Middlesbrough from Dutch side Heerenveen in January 2008 for a record club fee which still stands today.

Once arriving Teesside, it was almost as if he had forgotten how to play football. Netting just 10 goals in 42 games, some argue that he was the sole reason why Middlesbrough are no longer a Premier League side.

Comments