A Drop of Claret and Blue: West Ham’s December review

December 31, 2012 in Features by Darren Woon

Pin It

Welcome to A Drop of Claret and Blue. Let’s have a look back at December, shall we?

The month started very promisingly indeed. Having just lost to Spurs and Manchester United, I didn’t hold much hope of us getting anything at home to Chelsea, who were still reeling from the departure of manager Roberto di Matteo, with the fans overwhelmingly frustrated at the appointment of former Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez. Even still, this unrest failed to provide me with much optimism, and when we went a goal down in a first half that Chelsea largely dominated, I was far from surprised. What happened next, however, stunned me almost into paralysis. An exaggeration, I’m sure you’ll note; but even now, typing about that second half, I can hardly believe the words my fingers are forming.

ColeGoalChelsea

Read the rest of this entry →

Jose Mourinho: skating on thin ice?

December 24, 2012 in La Liga by Kevin Rendall

Pin It

On the face of it, a management career total of 40 defeats spread over 400 games in senior competition isn’t that bad a record - the envy of many even. The problem comes when your name is Jose Mourinho and you are the self-anointed ‘Special One’ sitting in the Real Madrid hot seat and charged with trying to stop that runaway Catalan juggernaut. In fairness to the Portuguese, he hasn’t done a bad job, securing the 2011/12 Primera División title, Madrid’s 32nd, to maintain an impressive record of winning a championship in each of the countries in which he has coached. That was then, though, and this is now.

JoseMourinho Read the rest of this entry →

Ballsy Banter Roll Of Honour 2012: Player of the Year

December 21, 2012 in Awards by Ballsy Banter

Pin It

We come to our fifth day, and it’s the big one. The category that sorts the men from the boys, the people that have risen above the rest to have the best year of their respective careers.

This category, is ‘Player of the Year’.

Let’s see who our esteemed panel have chosen in this instalment of this year’s ‘Roll Of Honour’.

ROLL-OF-HONOUR-12-PLAYER Read the rest of this entry →

The Hillsborough Disaster: A Ruling For The Good Of Us All

December 21, 2012 in Features by Karl Coppack

Pin It

Given the findings of the Hillsborough Independent Panel and the actions of the Attorney General, the quashing of the initial Hillsborough coroner’s verdict was expected in some quarters, but it still sends shockwaves through several strands of British society. When the Lord Chief Justice ruled that the verdict of accidental death - a judgement made in March 1991 - is no longer tenable, he finally gave the families of the dead some hope after 23 long years of pain but the recriminations of that ruling go far and beyond that.

891964-14939377-640-360

Read the rest of this entry →

Ballsy Banter Roll of Honour 2012: Villain of the Year

December 20, 2012 in Awards by Ballsy Banter

Pin It

We are well and truly into panto season, and today’s category in the Roll of Honour looks at the ‘Villains of the Year’ - those that have raised the ire of the footballing world. Be it through poor judgement or moments of madness, these people have made the footballing landscape an unpleasant place to be.

So let’s see who we’ve picked as our ‘Villain Of The Year’….

ROLL-OF-HONOUR-12-VILLAIN Read the rest of this entry →