Tottenham’s Transfer Policy

August 22, 2012 in Premier League, Transfers by Joseph Kingsley-Nyinah

Pin It

Yesterday, Tottenham Hotspur dominated the transfer news. I’d rather have seen them dominate Newcastle on Saturday, but I digress.

Sebastian Bassong was sold to Norwich, which is reasonable. He was clearly having a horrible time, and as much as I hoped he’d stay and thrive under the rule of Andre Villas-Boas, he’s moving to a manager he likes and has worked with before. Best of luck to him: we have five other centre-backs anyway, right?

Cue the accepted bid for Michael Dawson from QPR.

To start with, this worried me. Dawson’s one of our better defenders, and though he may be too slow for AVB’s High Line™, he would provide stability and leadership at the back, something arguably missing since the retirement of Ledley King. Add to that our defensive injury record, and this may backfire.

Added to this was the news that we were one of three clubs seriously interested in Adam Johnson. Putting my shock that Everton wasn’t one of the others aside, I thought that Johnson was a good option when Gareth Bale’s future was up in the air. Of course, now that he’s signed a four-year contract, moving to us would be an idea on a par with allowing a drunk Mr Bean perform open heart surgery. And besides, we already have another left-footed attacker waiting in the wings (sorry).

But that wasn’t the most important news yesterday.

We finally have another striker, and it’s one that has never entered The Emile Heskey School of Finishing™. Despite my curiosity about whether Jermain Defoe could stay fit and in form enough to bang in 20+ goals as a lone man, I breathe a sigh of relief.

Many of these deals probably could have been done earlier, but Daniel Levy has always operated like this: the man seems incapable of doing business early. Screw allowing the squad to stabilise in pre-season, that’s what October’s for. Granted, this year there has been mitigating circumstances; the main source of income would have been the sale of Luka Modric to that Spanish club he’s always admired.

… Awkward.

Nevertheless, it’s coming up to that most wonderful time of the year. Like him or loathe him, Mr Levy has pulled off come coups in recent years close to the end of the window: we’ve signed the likes of Rafael van der Vaart, Scott Parker and club record signing David Bentley (sigh). Tottenham are (probably) in the market for another forward and a deep playmaker, and this year, the names banded about have me excited: Moutinho, Willian, Llorente, Damião… all mouth-watering prospects.

That’s right, it’s that time of year I’ve decided to affectionately dub…

Roll on Deadline Day.

Comments