Blackburn Rovers: Same Club, Different League

August 21, 2012 in Championship by Sam Lovell

Pin It

A new season means a new barrel load of lies to be spoken by Rovers’ Alex McLeish-wannabe known as Steve Kean, and I know what your thinking now - if only Kean was more like the former Aston Villa manager. A top 10 finish and the Carling Cup were once mooted by the former Celtic player here - at least McLeish could deliver half of that for Birmingham in 2011.

The two Scots both eventually relegated their clubs, but alas Agent Kean, as Burnley fans tend to call him, never decided to relieve himself from his position and go to trouble his nearest rivals as Big Eck did. It would be nice to see Burnley in League One or Two, but I guess I can wait a few years for that.

Enough about McLeish and Burnley though, it’s time to talk Rovers and Kean. As promised, Kean managed to take the side into unchartered territory; unfortunately for us, he read a mixture of blueprints left behind by Brian Kidd and Paul Ince, and not the A plans put in place by Mark Hughes. Throughout the past season, he also managed to stamp his authority on the squad by allowing a number of senior squad members to leave, and in the midst of this, he also managed to discover Junior Hoilett and Martin Olsson (after having previously discovered Manchester City’s favourite centre back, Phil Jones). It really is a shame, however, that he is yet to make a discovery through one of his own signings. A masterful year for Steve Kean, one might say - well, except for the little relegation problem.

And now here I sit in 2012, the supporter of a Championship club. I don’t mind this fact; the Championship is full of great clubs, fantastic young prospects and a sprightly 36 year old named Nuno Gomes. It’s also where Steve Kean now finds himself after telling Venky’s not to sack him. The Scot was also crucial in the deal that swayed Junior Hoilett to drop down into the Championship… Oh wait, that didn’t quite work out now, did it Steve?

But then again, we never hear about the things that go wrong.

A positive man is Mr Kean, and that’s what we’ll need when we are 2-0 down at Barnsley on a cold Tuesday night (Barnsley are obviously the Championship equivalent of Stoke). Positivity can only get you so far though, and the Blackburn job is actually one of the top jobs that positivity-laden individuals can ascertain. To get a bigger job (i.e at Liverpool) you need a dour-faced self-annointed King, or a dour-faced Northern Irishman.

Back to Rovers though, and after 11 years, we are back to the Championship, and a 1-1 draw away at Ipswich did little to impress the travelling faithful. Colin Kazim-Richards (AKA the Coca Cola kid) put his new side in front, and could have eventually won the game for the former Premiership champions. It would have been nice to try and perhaps go for the win, they may have even pushed the boat out and scored a second, but it wasn’t meant to be. Ipswich equalised and could have won the game as Rovers sat back and let the Suffolk side attack. If Rovers continue these tactics, then you have to expect a mid-table finish which just isn’t good enough.

No matter who Rovers sign, they won’t get promoted under Steve Kean. This league isn’t easy, especially as there is more pressure on the players, as success is expected from them. The fans deserve better and the only fighting chance they have is if tomorrow morning, Venky’s put out a notice in the local paper about a new job vacancy.

Comments