Oh Danny Boy!

June 26, 2012 in Championship, Premier League, Transfers

Pin It

“I am absolutely delighted to be signing for Blackburn Rovers. When meeting Steve Kean, I soon realised the passion, enthusiasm and ambition he has for the club and how much he wants the team to bounce straight back up to the Premier League”.  So said Danny Murphy, who will officially become a Blackburn Rovers player on June 30th.

If you haven’t seen the news coming out of East Lancashire yesterday, you won’t have realised that Blackburn Rovers have been caught up in a ‘fantastic signing for the club’ saga. Yes, we finally have positive news to report from my beloved Rovers. The club may be in the Championship, they may not have a manager the fans want, and they may have appointed a new Director of Football (or as Venky’s call it, ‘a Global Advisor’) that few had heard of, but that hasn’t deterred 35-year old Danny Murphy dropping down to the second tier of English football to ply his trade at Ewood Park.

One cannot forget the importance of a player like Murphy in a bid for promotion, as he offers the intelligence in the middle of the park that Rovers so badly needed last year. He also has the ability to pick out a pass which has been lacking at the club since Tugay retired in 2009, and can create genuine goalscoring opportunities, having created the most chances for teammates than any other top flight player last year.

So why Blackburn, and why now?

Murphy could still be a Premier League player, but decided to drop down just as Kevin Nolan had done so last year. Did he feel he was being phased out by Martin Jol at Fulham? Did he not think he could cut it at Mark Hughes’ QPR?

The answer to both of those questions is no.

I believe that he would still have got into the Fulham side next year; a player like Murphy deserves more respect than a place on the bench. So the question remains – why Blackburn?

As much as I love the club, if I were a player, I would steer well clear of Blackburn. Maybe as fans we think we know too much, without actually knowing enough about the goings on at our club, but the ongoing contract issues with Junior Hoilett last year (with Steve Kean promising the fans that the player was 24 hours from signing, more than once) and the tumultuous end of season collapse have left me wondering why any player would want to come here.

Alas, Murphy has arrived and he’s even promising to repay the faith shown in him by Steve Kean (a man who would tell you that he single handedly masterminded Fulham’s Division One title winning season from 2001). I hope that Murphy hasn’t been promised a myriad of dreams and fables, but that is the Rovers we are dealing with in 2012. He does deserve better than this. Maybe Murphy will be made Blackburn captain and lead us to Championship glory, who knows?

For Rovers though, things are changing. It’s nice to see positive in-roads being made into the transfer window and it’s also a pleasant surprise to still be in the possession of classy young players like Martin and Marcus Olsson, Ruben Rochina and Mauro Formica. They may leave us in the coming months, but as with last year, I will be wearing my rose-tinted glasses and drinking from my half-glass full tankard while cheering on my team.

If the signing of Danny Murphy is anything to go by, then Blackburn Rovers look to have finally made some decent forays into the transfer market.

It may not appease the fans for long, but it’s a step in the right direction and a move that all Rovers fans can be happy about.

Comments