C is for Chelsea, Cup Competitions and Channel 5

April 17, 2012 in Europe by Daniel Lloyd

Pin It

Chelsea this year - let’s face it - have had a fairly disappointing season in the league. Losses to teams in the bottom half of the league have seen them drop more points than they really should have under the tutelage of Andre Villas-Boas, and I do not believe it will get much better for the Blues any time in the immediate future. Only when summer arrives could we see new life breathed into a squad that is over the hill. Players such as Frank Lampard, Didier Drogba and John Terry have had their day, and it is time to bring in the new guard, but while they have brought in Terry’s replacement with Cahill, they need to fill more gaps in their ageing squad.

Read the rest of this entry →

League One – where nothing seems to make sense!

April 17, 2012 in League 1 by Matt Harrison

Pin It

Welcome to my new column. From now until the end of the season, I’m going to try and make sense of League One, where my beloved Huddersfield Town have resided now for nine seasons. League One is a place where you can’t help but dream of the higher reaches of The Football League. At the start of the season, half of the teams in the league could consider themselves to have realistic top 6 hopes, and at the same time, teams who have done well in previous seasons can fall away badly into the relegation mire (see Exeter and Leyton Orient this season). Anyone can really beat anyone, and they often do. Seeing as we are at that time of the season where mid-table means very little, today I’ll be concentrating on the teams looking to get out of the league (either up or down).

Read the rest of this entry →

Tactical triumphs help Reading rise

April 16, 2012 in Championship by Jonathan Holdstock

Pin It

It has been an amazing week for me as a Reading fan. I made the relatively short trips to Brighton and Southampton in midweek and was treated to two amazing wins. They were amazing because of how we won, a triumph of tactics maintained and mastered over the course of the season.

The change of fortune we have had has been because of one player in particular - Jason Roberts. A number of Reading fans were sceptical on his arrival, wondering just how he could benefit the team. I personally, was delighted. Read the rest of this entry →

A new podcast is up!

April 16, 2012 in Podcasts by Ballsy Banter

Pin It

A new episode of Ballsy Banter is now up, so do what you need to do and give it a listen! Especially If you want to find out what these kits are all about…

Read the rest of this entry →

Sitting high above the rest, surprise or not?

April 15, 2012 in Premier League by William Kent

Pin It

Who would’ve thought after losing Samir Nasri and Cesc Fabregas in the summer, as well as an early season slaughtering to United, that Arsenal would be sitting this comfortably, above Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool in the league, at this stage in the season?

Read the rest of this entry →